Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Storm: A Book Review

Hello all! Today I'm reviewing Storm by Evan Angler! This review was supposed to be up yesterday or the day before, but because of some things I wasn't able to get it posted until now. I hope you enjoy! I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Back cover:
In a future United States under the power of a charismatic leader, everyone gets the Mark at age thirteen. The Mark lets citizen shop, go to school, and even get medical care—without it, you are on your own. Few refuse to get the Mark. Those who do . . . disappear.
Logan Langly went in to get his Mark, but he backed out at the last minute. Ever since, he’s been on the run from government agents and on a quest to find his sister Lily, who disappeared when she went to get her Mark five years earlier. His journey leads him to befriend the Dust, a vast network of Markless individuals who dissent against the iron-grip rule of the government. Along the way to the capital to find Lily, the Dust receive some startling information from the Markless community, opening their eyes to the message of Christianity and warning that humanity is now entering the End of Days.
In Storm, Logan and his friends are the leaders of the Markless revolution. But while some Markless are fighting Chancellor Cylis’ army, the Dust is busy trying to find a cure for a horrible epidemic sweeping through the Marked. And it’s difficult for them to know who to trust, especially when they aren’t sure if Logan’s sister Lily, one of the commanders in Cylis’ army, is on their side or not. And all across the nation—and the world—the weather has become less stable and a storm is brewing that bigger than any of them could have ever imagined.

Here's a cool book trailer for the book.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78DHtGhR3Rw

 So... my thoughts on this book. I have mixed feelings about Storm, and the entire Swipe series. I really like it. Evan Angler does a great job with characters. Some of the young people act a lot older than they would now, but I'd say they just had to mature quickly because of their environment. It's very well written, and I love the way Mr. Angler puts himself into the story. It reminds me of Lemony Snicket and his A Series of Unfortunate Events in a way. The characters are, for the most part, pretty likable.

 My mixed feelings come from the fact that this story is obviously based off the Bible's account of revelation. There are multiple characters who have the Mark, including main characters that the reader is supposed to like. In the Bible it says that no man who takes the Mark will be able to go Heaven, or get saved, or anything. So I have a hard time understanding the presence of characters with the Mark since I know how that's going to end. In the novel it also suggests that characters can burn their Marks off, but somehow I don't see that as going to work.

 Anyway, I'm still a tad bit confused about that entire bit. But I enjoyed the story as a whole, and I'm anxious to see what's going to become of the characters.

 I hope you enjoyed this review, and it didn't confuse you too much. Storm is the third book in a series, after all. :P

Evan Angler's Website.

Buy it here: here.


ADD Librarian • Blooming with Books • The Book Fae • Book Nook 4 You • Bookworm Reading  • Christian Book Review Blog • Christian Bookshelf Reviews • CTF Devourer •  Jill Williamson • Labor Not in Vain • The Life of a Teenage WriterThe Maniacal BookwormOh, Restless Bird • The Ramblings of a Young AuthorRealm of HeartsShadow Writer WorldA Slightly Nerdy BookwormWho YA Reading?Worthy2Read

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Interesting point about what the Bible says about the Mark. The book are good stories. Good review.

Jill Williamson said...

That's an interesting point you raise about that mark. I'm curious how it will all play out too. Good review! :-)