Thursday, January 23, 2014

Book Thursdays

 Hello everyone! This is the third post this week. So far so good! Today is the day to celebrate books! It might have to do with any facet of books, like reviews, or covers, or just about anything! Today, I'm just going to share a few books that are coming up in my review schedule.



  First off will be The Governess of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky which I should be finished with and ready to review by next Thursday! I'm enjoying it so far. It's about a young woman who was a missionary with her family for many years until her father's sickness force them to come back to England where she applies for the job of a governess. You'll find out more next Thursday if you come, or you can just look it up for yourself on Amazon, or goodreads, or CBD.


 Next up... Undaunted by Christine Caine. This is the student edition of the book, and challenges young people to dare to do what God calls them to do. I've only read a short amount of it, but it seems very good and thought provoking. It also deals with an issue close to my heart... that of the trafficking of young women. I'm thinking it will be a good devotional companion.


 This one I don't know /too/ much about as it's the first in a series, and I have yet to read it. But it sounds pretty interesting as a fantasy novel... involving jumping between worlds and dragons. I guess I'll see what I think.


 This book just arrived in the mail today. And I'm itching to read it. From what I've gathered, it looks to be a mixture of Daddy Long Legs and a Jane Austen book. But in present day. Being a fan of both Daddy Long Legs (squee!) and Jane Austen type stuff, this book may be the perfect thing for me. It's even written in letter form like DLL and she's writing to a guy using the name of a Jane Austen character. An orphan girl's education is paid for by a secret benefactor who requires she write him letters about her progresss.


Lastly, (I believe...) is Outcasts by Jill Williamson. This one should need no explanation if you've read many of my blog posts. I LOVE Jill Williamson writing. In fact, I own both the ARC and published version of the prequel to the first book in this series, Captives. This has yet to arrive, but I expect it's in the mail. In the future most of civilization lives in a walled city known as the Safe Lands... but the Safe Lands aren't as safe as promised. When they don't have much hope of a future of having healthy children, they kidnap many of a small village outside the city... and the story continues in this book. I'm excited to read it!

 I believe those are the books in my review queue. I have a lot more books that are just for reading for fun... Perhaps I'll share some of them at a later time... but for now...

 What are you reading? Any review books? Or just reading for pleasure?

~ a rambling author






3 comments:

Unknown said...

Outcasts looks nice, I love Jill's writings as well

Jillian said...

I'm reading Outcasts right now. It's so good!

Bethany Baldwin said...

C.H. Phebe: She's very very very good. Or should I just say brilliant?

Jillian: Yay! I can't wait till I get to read it! :D