Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Other Side of Me: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

 It's Tuesday! And according to my new blog schedule, that means it's Life and Theater day! That means I'll be posting about the things happening in my life for every Tuesday on out. (Or sometimes I might just talk about theater stuff.) *Throws confetti.* For my first post in my Life schedule... I'm going to be continuing my 'Other Side of Me' series which has been neglected far too long. You can read previous posts in the series here.

 Today I'm going to be talking about the second show I had the pleasure of performing in... Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Here's one of the songs from the show so you can have an idea.

 
   


 So, before I found out they were doing this show, I heard they were thinking about doing Peter Pan. Peter Pan is one of my favorite favorite favorite shows. So I was beyond excited. But then it came out that we couldn't do Peter Pan, and they were going to do Joseph instead. I was disappointed at first because I love Peter Pan so much, but I ended up having so much fun with Joseph that I can't imagine what not doing it would be like. This was done with the same group I did Willy Wonka with. 

 Instead of a classic audition, they had something called an "Audition Workshop" for Joseph. You could sign up for two different slots, and we chose the first one. When I say we, I refer to my older brother, Micah, who I roped into doing theater with me. We had gone to see Peter Pan at CYT a few months earlier, so that had hyped his interest in theater significantly since it was such a great show. 

 The Workshop was comprised of acting games and group singing. 

 After it was over my brother and I were both called for callbacks a couple of weeks later. 

 This time, there were lots of kids at callbacks. But for some reason I felt so much more at ease than I had at the Willy Wonka callbacks. I had been listening to the Joseph soundtrack and had a pretty good grasp on the words and tunes of a lot of the songs. 

 At this point in time I had been expecting to be tried for only female parts, but Mrs. A said at the beginning of callbacks that girls could try for guy parts too. 

 So when they asked who would like to try to sing 'One More Angel in Heaven' (seen below) I volunteered. It was a good day for me, I guess. I just had fun and sang the song in a low man-like voice. I remember one of the directors saying, "Careful boys, or the girls will get all the parts!" Some of the other girls were doing well too. 


                    

  My brother also did well, and was tried for several large parts. They picked some of us and lined us up according to height.

 This was right before Thanksgiving. I was actually out of state visiting family for the holiday when the cast list was posted. We looked. I had been cast as Gad, one of Joseph's brothers, and Micah had been cast as Levi, another one of them. It was an exciting day.

 Rehearsals started. There were a couple other girls cast as brothers, as well as several boys, and we had the greatest time together at rehearsals being a little family. Joseph is one of my favorite show experiences because I just had a blast doing it.

 I mean, there were a couple things that happened, but all together it was a great show to be a part of. I could say a lot of things. There were so many memories combined about that show. Like tearing legs off a cardboard goat, and seventies dance moves, and trying to eat my brother during 'Canaan Days.' Oh, and I had to wear a beard. A beard. I had to glue a beard on my face. Fun. And then I had to take it off afterward. But it was totally worth it, and I would do it again!

I know I'm probably missing something, so if you have any questions about the Joseph experience, post 'em in the comments. Oh, and next week I'll post some photos from it!

Hope you enjoyed!

 Come back tomorrow for a post about writing! 

~ a rambling author




 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Joseph so much. It's such a fun show. You're lucky to have been in a production of it!
I saw Joseph at a local CYT...they did a great job.

Bethany Baldwin said...

Heather: Me too. It's a great show. I'm sure they do! CYT did it here as well.