Friday, June 20, 2014

Echoes of Mercy: A Book Review

 So, I have gotten a lot of review books lately, and in my rush to review them all, I just realized there are a couple I've read that I haven't reviewed yet. Wow! So tonight I'm going to review Echoes of Mercy by Kim Vogel Sawyer.

Back cover: Sometimes a secret must be kept for the truth to be revealed.

When a suspicious accident occurs at the famous Dinsmore Chocolate Factory in Sinclair, Kansas, Caroline Lang goes undercover as a factory worker to investigate the circumstances surrounding the event and how the factory treats its youngest employees—the child workers. Caroline’s fervent faith, her difficult childhood, and compassionate heart drove her to her job as an investigator for the Labor Commission and she is compelled to see children freed from such heavy adult responsibilities, to allow them to pursue an education.  

Oliver Dinsmore, heir to the Dinsmore candy dynasty, has his own investigation to conduct. Posing as a common worker known as “Ollie Moore,” he aims to find out all he can about the family business before he takes over for his father. Caroline and Oliver become fast friends, but tension mounts when the two find themselves at odds about the roles of child workers. Hiding their identities becomes even more difficult when fate brings them together over three children in desperate need. When all is revealed, will the truth destroy the love starting to grow between them?
 
 
 
  First of all, I love the title. Second of all... I love chocolate. Third... I really like Kim Vogel Sawyer.

 I volunteered to read this book because of all of these reasons. I've been in two different shows of Willy Wonka the musical, so chocolate kind of has a special place in my heart. Also, mysteries, and children in trouble made me intrigued.

 The characters were awesome! I found something to love about all of them. Spunky Carrie was so cool, and Ollie so sweet, even if they disagreed. Then there were slightly smaller characters like Kesia that really livened up the cast. I loved each character, and the book would lack something without each of them.

 I enjoyed the plot. A possible murder always shakes things up and makes you wonder if the same is going to happen again. I enjoyed reading about the hiring methods, and how a factory works, and the subplot about the three children Carrie is trying to help out.

 This book is a fine excursion into pre child labor law history. Sawyer did not disappoint, and I really enjoyed reading this, and look forward to more books by this author.

~ a rambling author

No comments: