Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Swept Away: A Book Review

Today I'm reviewing Swept Away by Mary Coneally! (You guys get three posts this week, just in case I'm unable to post Monday.)
 This book was given to me by Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

 From the back cover: When a cowboy focused on revenge encounters a woman determined to distract him, there's going to be trouble in Texas!

Swept away when her wagon train attempts a difficult river crossing, Ruthy MacNeil isn't terribly upset at being separated from the family who raised her. All they've ever done is work her to the bone. Alive but disoriented, she's rescued by Luke Stone...so unfortunately, there are more chances to die in her immediate future.


 Luke is on a mission to reclaim the ranch stolen from his family. But the men currently on the property won't let it go without a fight. Luke plans to meet up with friends who will help him take back the land, and since he can't just leave Ruthy in the middle of nowhere, she's going to have to go with him.

But the more time Luke spends around the hardworking young woman, the more he finds himself thinking of things besides revenge. Will Ruthy convince him to give up his destructive path and be swept away by love?


~~~~

  I thought this looked like a fun book, and having heard some good things about Mary Connealy, I decided to give it a try. It took me a little while to actually read this book the whole way through, not entirely the fault of the book. I happened to get it at a time when there were other books I needed/wanted to read, so this little book was a bit neglected. But when I was almost halfway through the book, I buckled down and read it.

 And I liked it. After my beginning, of reading only bits and pieces once in awhile, I finally started to enjoy it. Swept Away is a good book. I liked Ruthie, always trying to find some task to do, and I wish I was a bit more like her. I'd probably accomplish a lot more if I was! Luke was an interested character. Focused on revenge, it was neat to see him meet the feisty redhead who would soften him up a little. I liked how he was upset when hearing about the cruel family she had lived with, and how he wished he could teach a certain member of it a lesson.

 Then there were the rest of the Regulators, men Luke had formed a tight bond with after being in prison camp together during the Civil War. Big John the Texas Ranger, Dare the doctor, Vince the lawyer, and Jonas the preacher. These four men were fun characters who I expect will be showcased in upcoming books. The sequel to Swept Away- Fired Up features Dare, and another character featured in Swept Away.

 I liked how the main intention of revenge, and wanting the land wasn't as important as rescuing an abused woman and her children to the men, and... well, there was a lot of stuff I liked!

 On the other hand, I like my books to have a tad bit more substance than this one. There was a certain element missing that I can't really name. But I truly did enjoy it, and would love to read the sequel, especially since I suspected about the couple featured in the back, and would love to see what comes of it.

 Thank you for reading this review. I hope you enjoyed it! I give Swept Away 4 stars out of 5. ****

 ~ a rambling author

No comments: