Thursday, July 17, 2014

Grammy: Let's Learn some Grammar!

I've been writing a long time. Well... technically. I've been trying to write little stories for years. But I really got serious about it in the last five years or so, and even more serious within the last three. Even though I did language arts in school, I've learned that there are still some grammar things I need to learn. I think everyone does. So I'm learning. And with that thought, I've decided to introduce a new thing to the blog. Every so often, I'll share a bit of grammar I've learned, but I can't do it alone! You can suggest ideas for me to cover next time, and also, I'd like to introduce someone to you...


This is Grammy Grammar. She's wise and knowledgeable about grammar facts, and I think she'll keep me straight. (Also, I'm not much of an artist, but such is life.)

So Grammy is going to introduce our lesson today.

Grammy: We'll start with something simple for you youngins. Homophones. And before you ask, no I didn't say telephones. Homophones are words that sound the same but mean different things... and sometimes are spelled differently! If you want your grammar to be classic and stylish, you've got to use those homophones right!

Here are examples of some homophones:

 One of the most popular, as in often used wrong is... They're/their/there. They're meaning 'they are,' (They're pretty cool!) their meaning it belongs to someone (that's their notebook,) and there meaning a location (she sat there.)

 Some others are:

 Right/Write/Rite/Wright - The first meaning either the direction, or something is right, the second meaning to write something, the third meaning a ceremony or something of the sort, and the third meaning a certain kind of occupation.

Real/Reel - Something is the opposite of fake or a fishing instrument.

Sea/See - The big blue ocean or to use your eyes.

Pray/Prey - To talk to the Father or something that is hunted.

Waist/Waste - Between the stomach and the hips or to not use something for no reason. (Basically.)

 And there are lots more.

 Air/Heir
 Pair/Pear
 Deer/Dear
 Flee/Flea
 Heel/Heal
 Die/Dye 
 Morning/Mourning
 Principal/Principle 
 Prophet/Profit
 Sun/Son
 Toe/Tow
 Tail/Tale
 Sew/So

The list could continue. Homophones abound. Which I suppose is why the English language is so hard!   But I'm confident with some good ol' fashioned practice, you'll be using those homophones proper in no time!

 Thanks Granny! I hope you guys liked today's post. Did we miss a homophone you like? Share yours in the comments.

~ a rambling author



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bahhaha Grammy Grammar is awesome!

This isn't quite a homophone, but today I found that I had written "light" instead of "lit." And that made me think of homophones... :)

Thanks for the post! :)

Bethany Baldwin said...

Heather: I'm glad you like her. She was a sudden inspiration. :P

Unknown said...

One I find myself constantly having to edit is too/to/two. I know the difference but in the middle of typing when my brain goes on standby, it can get iffy at best! Also break/brake and peek/peak/pique. I don't think I've ever used pique in a book though :)

Unknown said...

One I find myself constantly having to edit is too/to/two. I know the difference but in the middle of typing when my brain goes on standby, it can get iffy at best! Also break/brake and peek/peak/pique. I don't think I've ever used pique in a book though :)